The State Medicines Control Agency (SMCA) is a governmental body of the Republic of Lithuania with headquarters in Vilnius.
1. Its main responsibility is the protection of public health, through the evaluation and supervision of medicines for human use including:
2. The safety of medicines is monitored constantly by the SMCA through a pharmacovigilance network. The SMCA takes appropriate actions if adverse drug reaction reports suggest changes to the benefit-risk balance of a medicine.
3. The SMCA is headed by the Director and has about 127 staff members.
4. The Agency brings its own scientific resources together with ones of Kaunas Medical University and Vilnius University in a network of over 50 national experts.
5. The SMCA is involved in working groups of Ministry of Health of Lithuania as well as in scientific and regulatory bodies of European Union including Committees and working parties of European Medicines Agency (EMEA), European Commission, and European Council.
|Last Update: 2011-09-13 11:17:21|